Go vs. D [was Re: Rust vs Dlang]

Rory McGuire rjmcguire at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 02:38:05 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> How to do profiling with the dmd D compiler:
>
> 1. Add the -profile switch to the command line.
>
> 2. Read the report generated.
>
> To do coverage analysis:
>
> 1. Add the -cov switch to the command line.
>
> 2. Read the report generated.
>
> That's it.

Hi Walter,

Thanks I remember about the -profile switch but I don't see memory usage
there. If you see your program using more and more memory even though it
should not be
how do you check where the problem is?
In Go you generate a graph that shows the relationship between the various
function calls their memory use and cpu time. Its not a flashy graph I
think they use graphviz or something.

What would I use in D to profile heap usage? Would I be able to find the
problem area as quickly?