Go vs. D [was Re: Rust vs Dlang]

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Mar 26 03:04:29 PDT 2013

On 3/26/2013 2:38 AM, Rory McGuire wrote:
> Thanks I remember about the -profile switch but I don't see memory usage there.

-profile and -cov do not track memory usage.

> If you see your program using more and more memory even though it should not be
> how do you check where the problem is?

I've written memory usage profilers before, but haven't done one for D. You're
the first to ask for one.

 > What would I use in D to profile heap usage? Would I be able to find the
problem area as quickly?

What you can do is use -cov and see how often particular calls to new are done.
This will give a pretty good clue as to where memory consumption is coming from.