Standalone opengl bindings

Diggory diggsey at googlemail.com
Sun May 5 02:21:25 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 5 May 2013 at 08:52:27 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-05-05 05:58, Diggory wrote:
>> I wrote this mainly for my own benefit, but I figured it might
>> be useful
>> to someone else. It's a small program which generates opengl
>> bindings
>> for D directly from the specification.
>>
>> https://github.com/Diggsey/OpenGL-D-Bindings
>>
>> It generates a single file "gl.d" which by default will do no
>> more or
>> less than what you'd get by including "gl/gl.h". This will
>> give you
>> access to GL 1.1 functions.
>
> Sorry, but I can't understand why you would want to have this
> instead of Derelict.

A few reasons:
- It's one file that does JUST the opengl stuff. With derelict,
the functions it provides overlap with the platform SDK. Sure you
can prevent conflicts by aliasing them but it's messy and a waste.
- Derelict requires countless files over two different
sub-projects just to get simple opengl support. You would
certainly want to build it separately and then link it in, with
this it's just a case of adding one file to your project.
- I'm building on top of this, this way it's one fewer dependency
to worry about.
- Because it's generated automatically from the spec it will
always be up to date (currently 4.3, whereas derelict is only on
2.1!).