FF Plugins (Was: DConf 2013 Opening Keynote by Walter Bright: video and slides available)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Thu May 9 11:49:15 PDT 2013

On Thu, 09 May 2013 18:35:08 +0200
"Rob T" <alanb at ucora.com> wrote:

> I absolutely cannot use any other browser because of this addon
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tree-style-tab/
>
> Don't use it if you hate FF, otherwise you'll be stuck with FF
> until some genius on the dev team finally figures out that the
> horizontal tab system is a really dumb idea.

Nice. Personally I use Tab Mix Plus (setup for a max of 3 rows of
tabs, after which the whole tab bar area scrolls vertically; along with
some various other goodies), but I'll definitely try to remember that
if I'm ever forced to use one of those awful 16:9 monitors (great for
watching widescreen videos/games - ie, the sorts of stuff I use
my TV for - and, uhh, viewing traditional-style Japanese text...and
exactly nothing else.)

These are the FF plug-ins I can't live without:

- Like I said, Tab Mix Plus
  <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus/>

- DownloadHelper, again as mentioned before
  <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/>

- NoScript (Easy per-(sub)domain JS settings plus placeholders for
  Flash - Click when I actually want to view them)
  <http://noscript.net/>

- AdBlock Plus (I wouldn't normally mind banner ads, but my mind
  literally can't read a page if parts of it are animating. Plus
  they're giant security risks. Drive-by exploits? No thanks.)
  <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/>

- AdBlock Plus's Element Hiding Helper (Great for killing
  annoying share-on-everything boxes and asinine "turn on JS" nags.)
  <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/elemhidehelper/>

- BetterPrivavy (Cookies are fine. SuperCookies must die.)
  <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/>

- Winestripe (The real original, not the mediocre FF3.5+ remakes.)

- Disable Backspace Navigation (The only times I've ever navigated
  with backspace have been by accident while typing into a textbox)
  <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/disablebackspacenavigation/>

- FavLoc <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/favloc/>

- HttpFox <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/httpfox/>

- Linkification
  <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/linkification/>

- Re-Pagination
  <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/repagination/>

About 90% of the Web would be literally unusable for me if it weren't
for at least NoScript and AdBlock Plus.

If I weren't using FF2 I'd also cram in more crap to kill everything
about the AwfulBar's UI and de-unify the forward/back buttons (if such
a plugin existed) so their drop-downs actually make sense again (I liked
the idea of unified forward/back buttons until I actually tried them).