DConf 2013 Opening Keynote by Walter Bright: video and slides available

JN 666total at wp.pl
Fri May 10 03:45:21 PDT 2013

Can't wait for Manu's slides/video to come up :)

I have to disagree with some of the points in the keynote though.
The part with "algorithm in D" example, I don't know but map(a =>
a.idup) isn't exactly obvious. About the scope vs no-scope - it'd
be interesting to see how try-finally version looks like in
comparison.

About the IDE discussion near the end of keynote - I know a lot
of you people are happy just using Vim/Emacs + command line
compiling, but having a proper IDE is a big part in language
adoption nowadays. I can't speak for VisualD and MonoD, but I've
heard they are nice, I am using DDT which is also good, although
debugging on windows with DMD isn't that fun. A good example
would be Visual Basic 6.0 - everyone seems to hate it, yet a lot
of people (mostly non-programmers) use it to make apps because in
few clicks you can make a GUI application. Same would apply to
Java too - language isn't the best there is, and coding Java
without Netbeans/Eclipse/IntelliJ would be a new dimension of
pain but with those IDEs writing stuff is 'fun'.

All in all, great to see D community getting together to discuss
and share stuff =)