DConf 2013 Day 1 Talk 2: Copy and Move Semantics in D by Ali Cehreli

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat May 11 14:54:20 PDT 2013

On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:35:38 +0200
Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/11/13, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> > and who will definitely view all of them regardless of how quickly
> > they're released, but it produces better PR for the language this
> > way.
>
> P.S. Public relations also encompasses relations with an existing
> user-base.

I think some level of splitting-the-difference may be in order:

I absolutely understand Andrei's reasoning and agree some level of
staggering may be worthwhile for purposes of keeping D on the
general public's radar.

However, ten weeks is indeed a bit long, particularly if it's a
deliberate staggering instead of simply a "lack of time" matter. And it
does come across a bit disrespectful to those of us who wanted to go but
couldn't. Additionally, does it really make D look good if people
notice "It took them two and a half months just to upload some
videos?"

Assuming there isn't also a "lack of time" issue getting in the way, I
think spreading it all across one month sounds more reasonable. Plus,
there's no reason we can't just simply delay announcing to
reddit/ycombinator/etc.