DConf 2013 Day 1 Talk 2: Copy and Move Semantics in D by Ali Cehreli

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat May 11 15:31:16 PDT 2013

On 5/11/13 5:54 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> And it
> does come across a bit disrespectful to those of us who wanted to go but
> couldn't.

That I do take issue with. After the organizers and the speakers
invested very significant effort in making this event happen, the basic
complaint here is that they can't get free content out fast enough.

It may be a nice idea to offer advance access to Kickstarter
contributors though.

There are three basic issues. One obvious one is postprocessing and
uploading, work that's quite time-intensive and merciless (literally so
as this thread shows). Second is keeping the temporal arc going with our
announcements and discussions - releasing all at once would cannibalize
the conference. Third, Kickstarter contributors have put money and
speakers have put hard work into this; it would be disrespectful to
_them_ to dilute the value of the conference ("nah, I don't care to go;
after all I can always watch the free videos the day after".)

We could and should adjust the release schedule to make it optimal with
regards to the desiderata above. Two a week has been an initial thought.

Please think it over and exercise reason.

Thanks,

Andrei