DConf 2013 Day 1 Talk 2: Copy and Move Semantics in D by Ali Cehreli

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon May 13 09:04:39 PDT 2013

On Sat, 11 May 2013 20:22:57 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 5/11/13 7:39 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Furthermore, my whole point was nothing more than to merely suggest
>> that *maybe* the delay should simply be somewhat less, *not* a demand
>> or expectation, and *not* even a suggestion that they should all be
>> released as soon as is technically feasable.
>
> Sure - let's take a quick poll on what would be the best release
> schedule.

I am happy with any reasonable schedule, including the current.  3 a week
is max.

BTW, this whole "I need it now" mentality reminds me of my first days of
having a TiVo.

My wife and I liked law and order (the show, but also the real thing too),
and TiVo has a way to record all episodes (no repeats) of a specific show
name, on any channel.  We set it up.

We were getting about 4-5 hours PER DAY of "Law and Order" to watch.  In
about 4 days, I remember coming home and seeing 4 more hours and saying,
"aw crap, we have four hours of TV to watch"  When it became a chore, we
deleted the "season pass".

Now, this is different, because there are only 20 "episodes" in existence,
and there will be no more until next year.  But the effect is similar.  I
will watch one or two, and none of the others (I've seen them all live,
mind you), but others will choose other talks to watch.  Already there
have been some interesting discussions on the available talks that would
be lost in the noise if all were immediately available.  It's nice to have
everyone "stuck" at the same episode so you can discuss it at the same
time!

Also keep in mind, that you can simply ignore the postings for a few
weeks, and then all will be available at once.  This is like waiting for
the season to come out on dvd or netflix :)

-Steve