DConf 2013 Day 1 Talk 2: Copy and Move Semantics in D by Ali Cehreli

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue May 14 17:26:36 PDT 2013

On 5/14/13 7:24 PM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu, el 11 de May a las 20:22 me escribiste:
>> On 5/11/13 7:39 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> Furthermore, my whole point was nothing more than to merely suggest
>>> that *maybe* the delay should simply be somewhat less, *not* a demand
>>> or expectation, and *not* even a suggestion that they should all be
>>> released as soon as is technically feasable.
>>
>> Sure - let's take a quick poll on what would be the best release schedule.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer if all videos are released as soon
> as possible. AFAIK no other conference that publishes videos introduces
> an artificial delay when releasing videos and slides, just for "PR"
> reasons.

With all due respect I'd dare ask how versed you are in organizing
conferences, PR campaigns, or anything related. Releasing video
recordings with a delay has been the policy of all recent conferences
I've participated or organized.

> I even think is anti-PR to do such a thing (I can see how
> making one announcement each couple of days in reddit/etc. can help keep
> D in the spot but I don't see any reason why not to upload the actual
> stuff and link it in the conference website).

There is evidence indicating we are doing the right thing. On what basis
do you believe it's negative for PR?

> People that is actively looking for the stuff should be able to find it.
> People that doesn't know about the conference, should get a notification
> about a new video once in a while.

People who are actively looking for the stuff will sure find it forever
- just with a little delay at start, which I have explained why I find
entirely reasonable.

> Still, 10 months seems crazy. As
> somebody mentioned before, 1 month seems much more reasonable, 2 at most.

With three a week we'll be done in five more weeks. Please explain why
you find that unreasonable.

Andrei