DConf 2013 Day 1 Talk 2: Copy and Move Semantics in D by Ali Cehreli

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Wed May 15 13:04:10 PDT 2013

Andrei Alexandrescu, el 14 de May a las 20:26 me escribiste:
> On 5/14/13 7:24 PM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >Andrei Alexandrescu, el 11 de May a las 20:22 me escribiste:
> >>
> >>Sure - let's take a quick poll on what would be the best release schedule.
> >
> >As far as I'm concerned, I'd prefer if all videos are released as soon
> >as possible. AFAIK no other conference that publishes videos introduces
> >an artificial delay when releasing videos and slides, just for "PR"
> >reasons.
>
> With all due respect I'd dare ask how versed you are in organizing
> conferences, PR campaigns, or anything related. Releasing video
> recordings with a delay has been the policy of all recent
> conferences I've participated or organized.

I organized a few a while back in Argentina but as I mentioned before
privately in the conference, there were more like open events to spread
the word, not closed, more developer-oriented conferences. But anyway,
I was talking purely from the "user" POV, I don't claim to have any
knowledge about PR or marketing at all (even more, I tend to hate
marketing because it based on introducing artificial artifacts or
manipulating the reality in some way, but that's a different topic). One
example conference that I certainly know that releases all the material
at once is the LLVM conference, for example:
http://isocpp.org/blog/2013/05/clang-llvm-conference-videos-and-slides-are-now-available

I know other linux conferences do that but I can't remember particular
examples right now.

> >I even think is anti-PR to do such a thing (I can see how
> >making one announcement each couple of days in reddit/etc. can help keep
> >D in the spot but I don't see any reason why not to upload the actual
> >stuff and link it in the conference website).
>
> There is evidence indicating we are doing the right thing. On what
> basis do you believe it's negative for PR?

My personal experience, just that. For me it sucks not being able to see
the talks I couldn't attend. I just assume there is more people like me
out there, I guess is not a very wild guess (in fact there has been
quite a few other people complaining about this in the NG, even when
some supported spreading the videos releases thinking it was better for
D).

> >People that is actively looking for the stuff should be able to find it.
> >People that doesn't know about the conference, should get a notification
> >about a new video once in a while.
>
> People who are actively looking for the stuff will sure find it
> forever - just with a little delay at start, which I have explained
> why I find entirely reasonable.

Well, we disagree, I think people actively looking for the stuff should
be able to access the stuff (when is technically possible to do so).
Again, I agree that spreading the announcements in reddit over time is
a good thing.

> >Still, 10 months seems crazy. As
> >somebody mentioned before, 1 month seems much more reasonable, 2 at most.
>
> With three a week we'll be done in five more weeks. Please explain
> why you find that unreasonable.

If you read the text you are quoting, I'm saying between 1 and 2 months
seems reasonable (so I can't explain why is it unreasonable :)

I can live with that, even when I still think it will be way better to
just upload everything and only make the announcements three times
a week.