DConf 2013 Day 1 Talk 2: Copy and Move Semantics in D by Ali Cehreli

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed May 15 16:23:24 PDT 2013

On Wed, 15 May 2013 20:18:26 +0200
Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/14/13, Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > BTW, for comparison:
> >
> > Dconf 2007: 8/25-8/27 2007
> >
> > Slides posted: 7/10/2008
>
> I wasn't around back then. :)

You must be very young, quite a prodigy, really ;)

> On 5/14/13, Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Reminds me of Lewis CK's "Everything is amazing, and nobody is
> > happy"
>
> Well there's always going to be a difference in expectations between
> the old and new generation. Some things become great, others start to
> suck. For example I've got this microwave at home which is more than
> 20 years old, and it still works as great as day 1. Whereas I once
> bought a (not so cheap) toaster and it broke within a month. Not
> everything is amazing these days at all.

Same here. I looked everywhere trying to find a wide-slot toaster that
*wasn't* 50's retro, managed to find *one* and it started having
problems within just a few months. About 3 years later now, and I
still put up with it anyway :) (It's not dangerously bad, the darkness
setting just doesn't work unless it's all the way at "light".)

> And once you add artificial restrictions to something, people get mad.

And rightfully so! Which sometimes makes me think I'd be better off
knowing nothing about computers. Then, just like all the happy people I
see, I'd never notice the artificiality of the restrictions ;)