Arch Linux users and packagers : upcoming coomunity/dmd package change

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sat May 18 12:09:44 PDT 2013

On 5/18/13 8:59 AM, nazriel wrote:
> On Saturday, 18 May 2013 at 15:26:49 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> On Saturday, 18 May 2013 at 14:19:08 UTC, nazriel wrote:
>>> Will be shared library installed alongside with static library?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
> Cool!
>
>>> Will libdruntime.so belong to druntime package?
>>
>> No. Currently there is no separate druntime package as druntime is
>> part of phobos binary. This will be a separate issue to address when
>> I'll start decoupling Phobos.
>>
> Yeah, this "druntime is part of phobos binary" business sux.
> I guess druntime and phobos make files would require tweaking in order
> to allow building druntime as standalone library.
>
> On other hand, AFAIK both LDC and GDC uses modified version of druntime.
> That would require 3 different packages for druntime. Be it:
> gdc-druntime, ldc-druntime and dmd-druntime - wonder if this could be
> improved somehow

I fully agree with the desire to make the compilers interchangeable like
this, but practical reality is that they aren't.  Trying to pretend they
are and making it look like they are to end users is just going to lead
to frustration and disappointment, I suspect.

You cannot take the output or runtime from any of the three and use it
with any other of the three's outputs (except maybe in some of the most
trivial examples).  Hopefully one day, but that day isn't here yet.