dmd 2.063 beta 5

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu May 23 17:48:00 PDT 2013

Walter Bright:

> Therefore, I propose the following addition of a warning:
>
> ------------------------------
>    const int q = 5;
>
> Warning: const field with initializer should be static or enum.
> ------------------------------
> Over time, this can be upgraded to a deprecation and then an
> error.
>
> After a suitably long period of time as an error, then we can
> allow it with the new behavior.

Given the current rate of DMD releases this change path will take
a good amount of time.

In the next weeks I suggest to write down the most complete as
possible list of desired or expected breaking language changes,
and start performing them as early as possible (like during the
development of dmd 2.064).

Packing all (or most) of such changes in parallel (instead one
after the other along successive compiler versions, as it's
mostly currently done) will reduce code breakages later or much
later. Bugzilla contains several of such issues (often they are
enhancement requests). If we fix only 3-5 every year, D will take
many more years to ""stabilize"".

Steven Schveighoffer:

> What about making it an error UNLESS you pass a compiler flag.
> The user  will be informed, and the new behavior (which I find
> useful) is possible.

This idea seems able to significantly speed up the transition.

Bye,
bearophile