dmd 2.063 beta 5

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu May 23 17:56:55 PDT 2013

> What about making it an error UNLESS you pass a compiler flag.  The user will be
> informed, and the new behavior (which I find useful) is possible.

While that idea has significant merit, I oppose it on the following grounds:

1. It forces a very abrupt change. We've followed a policy of gradual change,
giving people plenty of time to adapt their codebase. This does not.

2. Having optional errors like that leads to unfortunate problems inside generic
code that tests whether some constructs compile or not.