DConf 2013 Day 1 Talk 6: Concurrent Garbage Collection for D by Leandro Lucarella

Brian Rogoff brogoff at gmail.com
Mon May 27 10:56:09 PDT 2013

On Friday, 24 May 2013 at 19:44:19 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday, May 24, 2013 20:30:54 Juan Manuel Cabo wrote:
>> I'd like to know if there is interest in a precise garbage
>> collector.
>
> There is interest in it, and Rainer Schütze did a talk on it at
> DConf. At the
> current pace (assuming that Andrei actually posts one on Monday
> even though
> it's a federal holiday in the US), it'll be posted on June 3rd
> (and if he
> skips Monday, then it'll probably be June 5th). And actually,
> the precise GC
> changes stand a much better chance of making it into druntime
> in the short
> term than any concurrency changes do.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

That's very promising. The lack of precise garbage collection and
the unclear story with regards to programming sans-GC (maybe it's
clear to someone, but not to me) is far more of a "deal breaker"
for me than the lack of non-nullable pointers. I hope that you're
right and that this gets sorted out soon.

-- Brian