dmd 2.063 released with 260 bugfixes and enhancements

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Fri May 31 09:59:42 PDT 2013

Dicebot, el 31 de May a las 16:18 me escribiste:
> On Friday, 31 May 2013 at 14:08:18 UTC, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> >>In mature projects RC does not differ that much from actual
> >>release
> >>other than by extra regression fixes. But for D process is not
> >>THAT
> >>smooth enough and it will take some time to settle things down.
> >
> >This is pretty much how it is now. Only minor regressions can be
> >found in a beta/rc usually. There are no changes in behaviour or new
> >features.
>
> Erm, I remember you taking good part in const initialization
> discussion with all semantics changes and compiler flags added until
> final decision was set in stone. That is something better done in
> semi-closed beta in my opinion.

Well, that case could really be considered just a regression, something
that used to work one way was changed in the beta (but was wrong) and
during the beta process was restored (with a better
migration/deprecation plan). I still think is quite different from
introducing new features or behaviour changes *intentionally*.

You are never covered 100%. But anyway, I'm not against having a first
iteration with less exposure (i.e. targeted only to DMD devels), but
I don't think we even need a "release" for that. Is enough to say in the
MLs "hey, we are starting with the release process, everyone check the
current master and report any problems" and freeze new features merge
from there. One everything is slightly tested and at least the devels
agree the master is in good shape, we can start shipping proper public
release candidates, with the proper changelog, version number, etc.