DConf 2013 Day 2 Talk 3: C# to D by Adam Wilson

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri May 31 21:32:42 PDT 2013

On Saturday, June 01, 2013 00:15:47 Juan Manuel Cabo wrote:
> > [..]
> > I would love to say that I have set aside enough time to do it, but it's
> > very difficult to find the time :(
> >
> > I hate to commit to a certain time frame, I have done that here in the
> > past and have been very wrong with my expectations.
> >
> > That being said, my lack of effort on D stuff is really pissing me off,
> > and I want to spend more time on it.  Dconf really has yanked me back
> > into D, and I want to finish all the loose ends I've started, including
> > dcollections, this streaming stuff, and some other little bits.
> >
> > -Steve
>
> I'm very happy to read this.
>
> It would be awesome to have the power of dcollections in phobos!!
> I would definitely appreciate it and a lot of people too!!!
> Streams and collections are very important building blocks.

He's working on std.io, which would replace std.stdio and provide streams.
That is likely to get into Phobos after full review. dcollections on the other
hand will never be in Phobos. Anyone is free to take the guts of its
containers and submit them to Phobos, but the API that dcollections has does
not match that of std.container, a while std.container does need a few tweaks,
it's never going to have the same design as dcollections. Andrei and Steven
disagree on some things such that what Steve did with dcollections' API is
incompatible with std.container (in particular with regards to ranges).

The two things holding std.container back are getting custom allocators sorted
out (which Andrei is working on), and people need to submit new containers.
They're not going to just magically appear. dcollections has some solid
implementations of containers which can be adapted to std.container (that's
where RedBlackTree came from), but nothing is going to be able to come from
dcollections exactly as-is due to the differences in API.

- Jonathan M Davis