dmd 2.064 release candidate 1

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Mon Nov 4 23:46:30 PST 2013

On 2013-11-04 21:01, Walter Bright wrote:

> The libraries were not built correctly (my old machine runs out of
> memory building them). FreeBSD users have needed to, for some time now,
> fork/build to get it.

I don't understand, the binaries and Phobos are included in the zip (I
haven't verified that they work). But dmd.conf is not. Can't you include
dmd.conf just because your machine runs out of memory?

> Heck, I had spent considerable time just trying to figure out *which*
> virtual box to install. Each option came with a long list of caveats and
> things that didn't work. Some would work with one OS, some with another,
> the one I did download would kinda sorta work with NetBSD, but not
> really, etc. Then, of course, was having it all wiped out by upgrading
> Ubuntu.

I'm not sure I understand what you're meaning. If I want to install
Ubuntu, I just create a new virtual machine (using VirtualBox), download
Ubuntu and makes a default installation. If I want Fedora, I do the same
thing but I download and install Fedora instead.

NetBSD? We don't even support NetBSD. For FreeBSD, just do the same
thing, download FreeBSD. Actually, for FreeBSD I installed PC-BSD
instead. That will include a GUI by default, making it basically just as
easy to use as Ubuntu.

The only thing that I had some trouble with is cross-compiling. That is,
building 32bit on a 64bit machine.

> It's not impossible to do. There's just a significant time sink involved
> in figuring out which one to get, getting it installed, getting it
> working, and keeping it working. It's actually easier to just buy
> another machine.

I'm not going to argue. If you have trouble picking which ISO image to
download we can help you.

What's taking the most time for me is download the ISO and wait for the
installation. But I can do other things while waiting.

--
/Jacob Carlborg