dmd 2.064 release candidate 1

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Tue Nov 5 22:26:49 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 5 November 2013 at 21:58:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/5/2013 1:50 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2013-11-05 10:09, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> Why not volunteer to handle the FreeBSD package builds?
>>
>> Hmm, turns out it's currently not possible to build C++ code
>> for 32bit on a
>> 64bit FreeBSD machine. This might take a bit longer than I
>> expected. I can still
>> send you 64bit binaries if that is of interest.
>

> Yeah, you essentially need both a 32 bit FreeBSD install and a
> 64 bit one.
>
> I suppose what's needed is a "one click install" package for
> FreeBSD.

You can compile 32-bit code on a 64-bit FreeBSD machine, as long
as you do it inside a 32-bit FreeBSD jail.  I've done this many
times when compiling 32-bit FreeBSD packages and it works fine.
If Jacob is interested, all he needs to do is setup a 32-bit
FreeBSD jail, which is pretty straightforward.

On Tuesday, 5 November 2013 at 09:52:26 UTC, Arjan wrote:
> DMD1 and DMD2 (and GDC) seems to be in the FreeBSD ports
> collection. Why can't those be used to buid the packages?

The gdc FreeBSD port is marked as broken and deprecated.  I don't
think it's been updated in years, back when gdc was still written
by the original author.

I wrote the original makefiles for dmd1 and dmd2.  They still
work, but the current maintainer usually doesn't bother doing
more than a cursory version number bump, so they'll often
uninstall cleanly, as the list of files installed will be wrong
(ie the pkg-plist is outdated).  I also wrote a ldc1 makefile
back then, but nobody maintained it, so it has been removed.

It appears that dlang builds their own packages for some
platforms, regardless of whether it's in the native package
repository or not.  Probably a good idea, for instant
gratification of those who want to try it out.