Visual D 0.3.37 released

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 06:39:40 PST 2013

On 6 November 2013 18:25, Alexander Bothe <info at alexanderbothe.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 5 November 2013 at 05:09:58 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> Note: I saw Alexander Bothe released an update to the parser one day after
>> your release... ;)
>>

> Sure, there have been a couple of critical regression bugs in the parser
> engine.
> Furthermore, I re-enabled the ufcs completion.
>
> Rainer, I somehow really recommend to provide a more frequent way to
> update the D_Parser.dll - just to provide a way to fix e.g. completion
> issues without having to recompile/package/upload the entire VisualD setup.
>
> An automated build system which simply calls
> git pull
> and
> xbuild DParser2/DParser2.csproj
> already suffices. I could insert a push hook into the repo which is
> executed then in order to inform the build system to do a rebuild.
>
> It also was possible to execute Unittests first, so in the case that there
> are some regression bugs (as it happened just recently), it simply won't be
> distributed.
>
> Finally, a small webserver providing the built dll (or a zip of it) and a
> check whether there's an update available will passively distribute the dll
> to all clients. Not to forget some security things like hash check or
> encryption etc.
>
> Also, the D_Parser.dll could be put into the AppData/Roaming folder, so no
> admin rights are needed for a parser update.
>
> What do you think about this?

I've often wondered if there's room for greater sharing of effort between
VisualD and Mono-D.
For instance, it seems a shame to have .visualdproj, and .dproj files
separate and incompatible. .csproj files are the same between VS and MD, I
wonder if the same is possible for D with collaboration?
Also things like the refactor engine? Are those things separated into
self-contained libs so any IDE can make use of them?
The semantic analysis really seems like a job for the DMD front end, built
as a lib, rather than re-inventing the wheel. Clang seems to provide that
sort of service for C tooling. Shame DMD doesn't seem to offer anything
similar.

I have no idea what the actual state of any of this actually is mind you,
just thoughts I often ponder.