Visual D 0.3.37 released

Alexander Bothe info at alexanderbothe.com
Wed Nov 6 22:13:39 PST 2013

On Thursday, 7 November 2013 at 05:45:34 UTC, Rainer Schuetze
wrote:

> On 06.11.2013 09:25, Alexander Bothe wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 5 November 2013 at 05:09:58 UTC, Manu wrote:
>>> Note: I saw Alexander Bothe released an update to the parser
>>> one day
>>> after
>>> your release... ;)
>>
>> Sure, there have been a couple of critical regression bugs in
>> the parser
>> engine.
>> Furthermore, I re-enabled the ufcs completion.
>>
>> Rainer, I somehow really recommend to provide a more frequent
>> way to
>> update the D_Parser.dll - just to provide a way to fix e.g.
>> completion
>> issues without having to recompile/package/upload the entire
>> VisualD setup.
>>
>> An automated build system which simply calls
>> git pull
>> and
>> xbuild DParser2/DParser2.csproj
>> already suffices. I could insert a push hook into the repo
>> which is
>> executed then in order to inform the build system to do a
>> rebuild.
>>
>> It also was possible to execute Unittests first, so in the
>> case that
>> there are some regression bugs (as it happened just recently),
>> it simply
>> won't be distributed.
>>
>> Finally, a small webserver providing the built dll (or a zip
>> of it) and
>> a check whether there's an update available will passively
>> distribute
>> the dll to all clients. Not to forget some security things
>> like hash
>> check or encryption etc.
>
> Yeah, being able to get releases out more often, and having bug
> fixes being tested in the field would be nice. But I think we
> should not over-engineer things here.
> Do you have a web-server that could do the compilation?

No - I just have got a normal dedicated web-server thingy for
php&mysql ^_^

But well, just a very small infrastructure that allows us to
update software more often - a couple of hours ago I implemented
this new eponymous template syntax..and now you had to release
another VisualD to have it in there, right?

>> Also, the D_Parser.dll could be put into the AppData/Roaming
>> folder, so
>> no admin rights are needed for a parser update.
>
> The component being used by Visual D is a local COM server, I'm
> not sure if it is good to have that in a user folder.

Okay, it's probably safer to let the user decide when to update
only.