Running D in the Java VM

Jeremy DeHaan dehaan.jeremiah at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 10:47:33 PST 2013

On Friday, 15 November 2013 at 07:44:20 UTC, Rory McGuire wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Jeremy DeHaan
> <dehaan.jeremiah at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> I can, and would love to go in to more detail about this, but
>> it is
>> getting late and this post is already quite long. Maybe I
>> should start a
>> blog about my D escapades? Anyways, I would love to hear
>> feedback on this
>> idea! Thanks for your time!
>>

> Nice one, I have to use Java at work, it would be awesome if I
> didn't have
> to.
> Would be cool if you make it so that the outputs to java are
> just trasforms
> of the AST that way people could write other types of output
> such as C.

I don't know if I would ever want to set it up for other
languages, but currently it is just modifying the D AST, then
taking that information to create the Java source files. Java and
D have enough similarities to where that has been pretty straight
forward thus far. My only problems have been AST related since
that whole side of things is totally new to me. Brian Schott's
Dscanner stuff has made it much easier though.

I'd like to write an article somewhere about how it works just
because I think it's an interesting enough topic, but not sure
where yet. Especially since I don't have anything for people to
try out.