Running D in the Java VM

John J john.joyus at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 21:49:44 PST 2013

On 11/15/2013 02:13 AM, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
> You may want to ask, "Hey, man. D is a great language. Why would I ever
> want to convert it to Java?" Normally, you wouldn't. Java blows. What I
> am envisioning for this project is something quite magical in my
> opinion. If we can take D code and have it compile into Java class
> files, we can then compile them into Android dex files. This would make
> D able to build and run on Android devices through its VM. Sure, people
> are working on getting D to compile to ARM binaries, but this could be
> another option as a Java alternative on Android.(eventually)

My guess is, D will compile to ARM binaries sooner than you could
complete your D2Java project. Even if you could beat it by an year,
people would instantly switch to D -> ARM route the moment it's available.

If it should survive as an alternative, Jave should have some more
advantages over D, even after the D compiles to ARM.