Fedora RPMs

Ellery Newcomer ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu
Mon Nov 18 19:22:18 PST 2013

On 11/18/2013 05:11 PM, Dejan Lekic wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I have just committed few changes to https://www.gitorious.org/dejan-
> fedora that allow you to build functional RPMs on your Fedora 19 systems.
> I will aim for now to support F19, F20, EL5 and EL6. If someone needs
> support for something else, please send patches or just simply come to IRC
> and let me know what is the problem. :)

this is pretty nice setup you got here.

> Few remarks - SPEC file expects source files to be on http://ddn.so/
> files/ . I hope our release manager, or so-called "build master" will
> make sure dlang.org provides source tarballs of dmd, phobos, druntime and
> tools the same or similar way I have them on http://ddn.so/files/ (btw,
> you can't browse it yet, but you can download files).

would it be possible to link to appropriate github repo changesets using
git submodule, and then generate the tarballs from those?

> I use the simple get-files.sh (located in the dmd directory in the dejan-
> fedora repo) to get those release tarballs from GitHub.
>
> Finally, I decided to be little bit adventurous and made the SPEC file
> generate dmd.conf with -defaultlib=libphobos2.so flag in DFLAGS.

by gum, I think you did it right too. I can build a shared lib straight
out of the box. Well, unittests seem not to be running, and I'm sure
they were a release or two ago. we'll see.

> Following Fedora package guidelines, I provide static library in the
> libphobos-static package instead.

lovely. wait, 42 megabytes? there's one file in that package.. wow.

> So far it all works fine. I did not test the i686 packages yet, they
> should work. :)
>
> Kind regards, and I hope you find this useful as much as I do.

Me too, I'm sick of maintaining my own buildscripts.

A few suggestions:

/usr/share/d/samples is in dmd-...-{architecture???}, shouldn't they be
in a noarch package, like libphobos-devel?

shouldn't dmd require libphobos-devel rather than libphobos?

libphobos installs libphobos.so.2.064; shouldn't it have also installed
libphobos2.so.2.064.2, cuz you know, this is dmd 2.064.2, and also most
libs in my /usr/lib seem to follow the format libname.so.x.y.z

no dustmite? waaa.. ok fine.