Go vs. D [was Re: Rust vs Dlang]

Paul phshaffer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 18:47:10 PDT 2013

> The trick is to make something which is powerful and flexible
> for the
> experienced user and yet not too daunting for the newbie. I
> don't know how
> well we've succeeded on that front, but I'm sure that more
> tutorials and
> better documentation and whatnot would help.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Jonathan you've answered some many of me questions and I wanted
to comment on this thought.  I am a very poor programmer who has
only used languages as needed to get a job done and never
becoming good at any of them.  I picked up D to start developing
some text processing tools.  I started with other guys in our
office building these tools in Python but then learned I could
actually generate tiny .exe's and not have to have Python
installed on systems that I needed my tools on.  The slices and
associative arrays are awesome.  I've acquired the habit of using
the time functions and printing out how long it takes the program
to do its work.  245ms! 657ms! LOL.  D rocks!  It is extremely
complex and 90% of it is over my head but making my own little
.exe's that blast through things orders of magnitude faster than
the scripting languages is fun.  Keep up the good work all!