[Library Release] dproto

Matt Soucy msoucy at csh.rit.edu
Tue Oct 8 13:50:21 PDT 2013

On 10/05/2013 06:20 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> This is more of an FYI. I've been using/updating
> https://github.com/opticron/ProtocolBuffer
>
> Boost License
> And while it doesn't have any helper functions, it can generate source
> at compile time.
> Generates D1 code if requested
>
> Been using it to walk OSM data for no particular reason
> https://gist.github.com/JesseKPhillips/6051600
Thanks for the tip - I actually did find this one when I started using
this, however I found it on another page that hadn't been updated (that
I ironically can't find now), so I wrongfully assumed that it was
abandoned. I did find the github page, but I wasn't thrilled by it.

Pros for opticron's:
	Much more idiomatic code
	Supports D1
	Much better unit tests
Pros for mine (highly based on opinion):
	Exposes slightly more convenient helpers
	(In my opinion) slightly easier to read
	Generated code looks like a POD struct, though with some "hidden"
attributes (optional variables support .clean(), .exists(), instead of
looking like myStruct.foo_exists())

Basically, mine is much more simplistic, which is both good and bad. I'd
like to improve mine a bit more, and the one you pointed me at is pretty
good. It gave me some things to improve on.