code.dlang.org now supports categories and search - license information now required

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Thu Oct 17 05:06:27 PDT 2013

Am 17.10.2013 13:42, schrieb ilya-stromberg:
> On Thursday, 17 October 2013 at 10:39:45 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>> But one potential issue just occurred to me. What if a product is
>> licensed under multiple licenses that must _all_ apply? That would
>> basically be "MPL-2.0 and Apache-1.0" instead of "or". This is
>> something that happens quite frequently when code is taken from
>> multiple projects or when the license was changed, but some files were
>> under foreign copyright.
>
> It's impossible.
> For example, GPL-2.0 and GPL-3.0 are incompatible. So, if user requires
> both GPL-2.0 AND GPL-3.0, it means that we have invalid license items.
>
> So, we should provide only "OR" modifier, not "AND". And I agree with
> ponce: we should provide a per-file license specifics, it should solve
> your problem.

If you have per-file differences, then this in fact means that both
licenses need to be obeyed when using the package. If those licenses are
incompatible, that's a problem of the package combining them - it's
basically unusable then. But going a per-file way is by-far too
detailed. It's hard enough to assure proper per-package licensing and
keeping license comments up to date, but this will IMO just result in chaos.

Also, while GPL 2 and 3 may not be compatible, there are other licenses
which are compatible, but one is not a superset of the other.