LDC 0.12.0 has been released

ilya-stromberg ilya-stromberg-2009 at yandex.ru
Fri Oct 25 00:50:35 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 23 October 2013 at 17:45:50 UTC, John Joyus wrote:
> On 10/22/2013 06:42 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> LDC 0.12.0, the LLVM-based D compiler, is available for
>> download!
>
> Congratulations!
>
> I am a D enthusiast who reads more *about* D than actually
> learning the language! ;)
>
> I have a question about LLVM.
> When it comes to performance, do all LLVM-based languages
> eventually match each other in speed for any given task, no
> matter it is Clang or D?
>
> I guess having or not having a GC (or different implementations
> of it in different languages) will make a difference, but if we
> exclude GC, will they be generating the same exact code for any
> given operation?
>
> In other words, though two different languages are based on
> LLVM, can one of its binary exceed the other in speed?
>
> Thanks.

It depends.
Two benchmarks of different languages and compilers:
http://togototo.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/benchmarking-level-generation-go-rust-haskell-and-d/
http://togototo.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/benchmarks-round-two-parallel-go-rust-d-scala-and-nimrod/

I think it's answer for your question. For example, Clang (LLVM
C) is fastest, LDC (LLVM D) has 2-nd place, but LLVM-GHC (LLVM
Haskell) ~ 2 times slower.