vibe.d 0.7.17 released

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Sep 10 12:16:02 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 10 September 2013 at 18:10:40 UTC, Daniel Davidson
wrote:
> I can understand reservations about not wanting to publish
> benchmarks too early before some chance at optimization. OTOH,
> if it is "utility modules" that distort the numbers then maybe
> they need attention and data is the best way to draw it. And,
> just maybe, you and Sonke are too pessimistic? For example,
> shouldn't Json serialization be a win for D with its compile
> time approach?

Well, we don't know. Now one has been ever benchmarking this.
Ever. Someone needs to step up and provide the data. I will do it
eventually, but that will happen later rather than sooner.

>> Area where vibe.d truly shines performance-wise is core
>> request handling framework and I am not aware of any public
>> benchmark game in that domain.
>>

> I bet you are correct. But then, how can you know if there is
> no public benchmark game in that domain  :-)

I've done some testing on my own ;)
https://github.com/Dicebot/web-performance-tests - unfortunately,
I was not able to get meaningful results for high concurrency
cases because of h/w limits generic crappy laptop network cards
have (should probably delete existing ones as they are mostly
useless), but it provides all the tools for one to try and see :P

> Maybe the best approach is to find a way to work more
> sophisticated tests into the benchmark that show where vibe/D
> shines. Without benchmarks it is all guesswork... but I'll bet
> the compile time diet templates shine. Other guesses?

There is always an option to create your own benchmarking game :P
All you need is production-grade networking hardware and pair of
PC's (with client being considerably more powerful than server).