[OT] My C++ talk at GoingNative 2013

Mathias LANG pro.mathias.lang at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 00:40:01 PDT 2013

>> I do have a question regarding the talk's section on
>> devirtualization.
>> As a language that imposes virtual methods for classes, how
>> well does D
>> play when it comes to devirtualization? And on a side note,
>> does D have
>> a different way of implementing virtual methods than most C++
>> compilers do?
>
> In D it seems that currently the preferred way to compile a
> project is to compile all the source at once using RDMD or
> similar. Isn't that a great opportunity for full program
> analysis to do devirtualization?

It may be a trend, but I hope it will never become D's official
approach, because it doesn't scale. This would left out all the
people that use the object-file based approach (and related
tools, like Makefiles), which is dominant in the Linux world, and
is required in some cases (limited hardware, distributed
compiling, or simply huge projects).