Digger can now build D versions from the future

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Apr 1 00:01:18 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

It is my great pleasure to announce a new feature addition to the
tool Digger.

Digger's goal is to be able to build D versions from any point in
D's history. As it has already conquered the present (building D
from git master) and past (building D from any git commit), only
one final frontier remained: the future!

Although this might sound like an impossible feat which would
violate causality, recent advancements in D-wave quantum
tunnelling have made this possible and safe (mostly), and I've
put together a simple implementation.

I've tried it out, and it works on my machine. However, due to
there being an infinite number of possible eventualities, user
input is required: whereas before only a timestamp or version
number sufficed, to utilise this feature the user must select the
desired features that their future D version must have, and
Digger shall locate a timeline where D has the selected features,
and tunnel it across, onto the user's hard drive.

Here is what the user interface looks like (fragment):
http://dump.thecybershadow.net/2d5de238000f1f933e9b9011678d7dc2/000000F0.png

Note that due to technical reasons, Digger can only lock on to
timelines with additions proposed at the moment of tunnelling.
Nevertheless, these are exciting times! With this prescient
capability, we can find regressions before they end up in D, or
predict proposal conflicts before they materialise!

If you'd like to give it a spin, the source repository is here:

http://github.com/CyberShadow/Digger

Pre-built Windows binaries are also available:

http://dump.thecybershadow.net/c40ab2bcb1df22e4a7072cdf00341d18/digger-web.7z

Launch digger-web to access the user interface!

Further improvements can be expected in the near future, and
feedback is welcome as always. Dig safely!