CMake with D support early snapshot

Trent Forkert trentforkert at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 20:38:30 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 1 April 2014 at 20:11:03 UTC, Meta wrote:

> Is this ready to be posted to HN/Reddit, or still no-go?

I'm going to have to say no. A couple of major problems off the
top of my head:

1. I've recently had to shrink the fully supported compilers list
to DMD master and GDC 2.064 or greater, owing to a need for the
compiler to handle shared libs passed directly to it and the
-deps flag, respectively. LDC will be back on the list pending it
gaining support for those things.
2. The major use case of mixing C/C++/D code is still
fundamentally broken with Win32 DMD because of Optlink problems
my poor Linux brain has yet to sort out. This is even more
problematic, since the needed GDC version doesn't work on (or at
least doesn't have a build for) Windows.
3. I'm still worried about creating confusion around CMake's
pending 3.0 release.

I want it to be as friction-less as possible for C/C++ & CMake
users to swap out their CMake install, add a D compiler, and
start using D alongside C/C++ in their projects. Right now, such
an effort would most likely be met with frustration pretty
quickly. That frustration will end up aimed at D, even if it
should be aimed at my work on this project. That won't benefit
anybody.

I've got a list of things in my head I want to be fixed/supported
before publishing this too far and wide. I'll work on moving
those from my head to the bug tracker tonight, so I don't forget
about them.

  - Trent