Interesting rant about Scala's issues

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Apr 4 01:16:19 PDT 2014

On Friday, 4 April 2014 at 08:05:58 UTC, renoX wrote:
> On Friday, 4 April 2014 at 08:00:09 UTC, w0rp wrote:
>> I think this is a really interesting argument. Don't write
>> ugly things to get performance. Instead write obviously
>> correct things and then make obvious optimisations.
>
> Bah, except that if you use everywhere big ints, floating point
> intervals instead of floating points (the former is the correct
> representation of reals, the latter isn't), normalized strings,
> the obvious optimisations won't necessarily be enough to avoid
> being very slow..

Says who? And slow to whom?

1 - Write correct code

2 - Use a profiler, if the code isn't fast enough for the use
case being written for

3 - If desired use case isn't there, use the profiler information
to improve the specific hotpaths in need of tuning.

I see too many people micro-optimize for nothing.

--
Paulo