How I Came to Write D -- by Walter Bright

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 10:44:40 PDT 2014

On 4/8/14, Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/22jwcu/how_i_came_to_write_d/

Btw, w.r.t. #2:

> W.B.: I've had to learn how to manage a project where people are all volunteers. Since I don't pay anybody anything, I can't tell anybody to do anything.

As a contributor I take a different stance here. When Andrei/Walter or
someone from the "higher ranks" asks me about working on a specific
feature or pull I'll be ready to jump on it as soon as possible. To me
the issue was never about finding what to work on, but prioritizing
what's important.

So I wouldn't necessarily say that requesting someone to work on
something would look bad or be perceived as wanting that someone to do
work for free. I think there's plenty of us here who are eager to work
on things.

I know Andrei said he already tried to ask some members of the
community to work on some issues, to no avail. I don't know which
issues they were though, but if I'm involved in any of them just ping
me and I'll jump to work ASAP.