dblog.aldacron.net is Clean Again

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Apr 11 06:41:29 PDT 2014

On 4/11/2014 9:10 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
> Google has cleared the dblog.aldacron.net domain from the blacklist, so
> it's safe to visit The One With D and the Derelict forums again.
>
> Ultimately, I had to root everything out myself. Tech support was
> friendly enough, but very little help (they advised me that I needed to
> find the problem, which is what I asked for help with in the first
> place). It turns out there was a hidden executable which was completely
> invisible to my ftp client. I was able to see it only through the CPanel
> File Manager, but I was unable to delete it. Every attempt succeeded,
> only for the file to come back again. But once I eliminated all sorts of
> php files and fixed a number of static html files that had been
> modified, the problem went away even if the executable did not. Tech
> support did, finally, tell me they would remove the offending file.

Ouch! At least it's all sorted out.

> Because of this experience, I've decided it's time to move away from
> shared hosting. I'm going to transfer everything over to a VPS (either
> with Digital Ocean or Linode) so that I can always have shell access.

Yea, shared hosting can be a pain. TBH, all my biggest web server
problems have always been directly related to one shared host or
another. I got fed up and switched to VPS a few years and haven't looked
back. I haven't looked closely at the other VPS companies, but in my
experience you can't go wrong with Linode. They're amazing. I'm
ultra-critical of freaking everything, and yet I don't have a single,
even minor, complaint about Linode. (But then I'm a control freak, so
VPS is a natural fit for me anyway, so "FWIW".)