Z80 Emulation Engine

Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 21 22:57:42 PDT 2014

On 22 April 2014 12:24, Ben Boeckel via Digitalmars-d-announce
<digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 11:17:32 +1000, Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> Yeah I know, I just never expected anyone else to take interest.
>> I'm often torn between gpl and bsd/zlib.
>
> FYI, if you're using the free services on GitHub, it *must* be FOSS. I
> think the GitHub terms of service permit forking for public repositories
> regardless of the license[1].
>
>> If something's open source with no commercial intent, is there good
>> reason not to use gpl?
>
> http://choosealicense.com/

Yeah, I understand the license options essentially, but it's more than
just the license text, there are license cultures that affect the
decision, and people are borderline religious about this sort of
thing.
I mean, the GPL seems fine to me, but there are many people who see
GPL and avoid it like the plague as a matter of superstition or
something. I'd prefer to not discourage interest or contribution just
because I wrote "GPL" near my code.
Then people invented LGPL and in my experience, this makes some of
them feel okay with it, and others still don't wanna go near it.

What practical reasons are there to avoid GPL if your software is
fundamentally open-source?
Ideally, I'd like something like GPL, with the option that I can grant
someone an exception to the license upon request.