Z80 Emulation Engine

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 22 06:52:51 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 22 April 2014 at 06:41:58 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> But then you lose the incentive to return contribution back to
> the
> original community.
> I've worked in companies where we take OSS libraries, modified
> for our
> needs, and never offer the modifications back to the community.
> I've
> done it myself, and it's basically wrong.
> I am not aware of the license that encourages community
> contribution,
> but also doesn't infect your code like the plague?

You said, it couldn't be commercialized. GPL prevents
commercialization, if the latter won't happen anyway, GPL doesn't
give you anything.
I did that, but sent a patch to the developer, diff -ur doesn't
hurt in the least. Though the tool is only used by developers, no
redistribution required, so GPL wouldn't prevent from doing
private changes and still benefit from them (the tool provided a
very important feature absent in a commercial analog, and I added
3 more more cool features).