DConf 2014 Lightning Talks

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 7 04:18:27 PDT 2014

> Now available from youtube by default.
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2bbklj/dconf_2014_lightning_talks/
>

> https://twitter.com/D_Programming/status/491299147015012352
>
> https://www.facebook.com/dlang.org/posts/888753774471638
>

> Andrei

In Átila's talk, there is an egregious misuse of the term "syntax
checking", applied to what is actually language *semantics*, not
syntax... ^_^'  But cool talk, and cool tool.

One question though, I'm hoping people familiar with Emacs could clarify
to me: I assume that for flycheck to work in the continuous
(as-you-type) way that it is shown to be working, then the files being
edited have to be saved on to the disk, so that dmd can check them. Is
it this saving done to the actual underlying files, or to some sort of
copy? (I'm guessing that it's to the actual underlying files)

This is an interesting behavior I've come across, even before watching
this talk: Recently I tried IntelliJ IDEA, and it also goes away with
any explicit UI notion of saving a file. It just saves files
automatically, as you type. This is interesting, and might well be a
marked improvement in UI behavior...

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros