DMD v2.066.0-rc1

Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 7 10:05:20 PDT 2014

On 8 August 2014 02:57, Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce <
digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 7 August 2014 at 16:53:57 UTC, Manu via
> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>
>> Umm, I don't know what you're talking about exactly. But let me get this
>> straight, it looks like you're saying you are annoyed that it didn't 'just
>> work' out of the box? :P
>>

> Yeah this is the inly compiler I have used so far where you can't just
> type `cl.exe helloworld.c` after installation and expect it to not crash -
> with an intention that you must use special environment wrapper before that
> is never mentioned to you during installation.

Yeah, the first I ever became aware about that environment script was when
Walter pointed it out to me a few years ago.
I've never encountered anybody try and use MSC from the command line in
about 15 years professionally. That's what I mean about this culture; it's
the opposite of linux, and it outright rejects practises that are
linux-like.

 You're meant to open the .sln file and press the build button...

> I'll tell my scripts next time that all they need is to press a build
> button, yeah

What's a script? Is that related to the command prompt? We left that behind
in Windows95... ;)