DMD v2.066.0-rc1

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 7 10:11:22 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 7 August 2014 at 17:05:29 UTC, Manu via
Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On 8 August 2014 02:57, Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce <
> digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 7 August 2014 at 16:53:57 UTC, Manu via
>> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>>
>>> Umm, I don't know what you're talking about exactly. But let
>>> me get this
>>> straight, it looks like you're saying you are annoyed that it
>>> didn't 'just
>>> work' out of the box? :P
>>>

>> Yeah this is the inly compiler I have used so far where you
>> can't just
>> type `cl.exe helloworld.c` after installation and expect it to
>> not crash -
>> with an intention that you must use special environment
>> wrapper before that
>> is never mentioned to you during installation.
>

> Yeah, the first I ever became aware about that environment
> script was when
> Walter pointed it out to me a few years ago.
> I've never encountered anybody try and use MSC from the command
> line in
> about 15 years professionally. That's what I mean about this
> culture; it's
> the opposite of linux, and it outright rejects practises that
> are
> linux-like.

well I don't mind that habits are totally different - but the
fact that it is considered an excuse for distributing broken
programs (and cl.exe is broken by most basic software usability
principles) is frustrating at least. "Polishing" means exactly
paying attention to details like that, making sure that features
on one uses still work when stumbled upon. And making your GUI
even more fancy is, well, making you GUI fancy. Nothing to do
with polishing.

>> I'll tell my scripts next time that all they need is to press
>> a build
>> button, yeah
>>

> What's a script? Is that related to the command prompt? We left
> that behind
> in Windows95... ;)

Yeah you know those old school things that allow us to spend time
on something actually useful instead of pressing buttons ;)