DMD v2.066.0-rc1

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 9 07:57:03 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 9 August 2014 at 14:24:41 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> While I (unfortunately) agree with everything you've said here,
> I can't help chiming in with one thing: Speaking as a
> programmer who's primarily used Windows ever since 3.1, anyone
> who earns a paycheck writing code *and* believes "Linux is
> rubbish for nerds"[1], needs to grow the fuck up, both
> professionally and intellectually. It's absolutely no different
> from a grown adult being a console fanboy. It's just pathetic
> and completely inexcusable for any so-called "professional".
>
> [1] And you're right, such people *do* (inexplicably) exist.
> I've known some.

People take surprising pride in praising own ignorance and any
philosophy that justifies such ignorance. When I started doing
commercial programming after some years of open-source and hobby
experiments biggest cultural shock was that many of my colleagues
actually avoided learning anything out of the default comfort
zone and called that _professional attitude_.

To take it from common holywar path : my rant was not about GUI
vs console either, but about the fact that they distribute some
programs that die with meaningless error unless certain system
paths are manually specified. This is a terrible approach - I
can't imagine any program installed via standard OS tools to act
that way and not consider it a bug. Even majority of Windows
programs I remember using were more responsible in that regard.