DMD v2.066.0-rc1

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 11 12:55:18 PDT 2014

On Monday, 11 August 2014 at 16:29:10 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 8/9/2014 10:57 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> actually avoided learning anything out of the default comfort
>> zone and
>> called that _professional attitude_.
>
> People have some truly bizarre ideas about what constitutes
> professionalism. At a previous job I had, at one particular
> developer's meeting with one of the brass (it was a weekly
> meeting that primarily served to make this particular
> manager/co-owner feel like she was being useful - not that she
> ever was - by sticking her fingers where they didn't belong),
> by pure chance all the developers happened to be wearing shirts
> with collars. The manager made a big point about how happy she
> was to see that because (paraphrasing here) "shirt collars are
> professional".
>
> Yea, forget competence, skill, ability, work ethic,
> demeanor...no, apparently "professionalism" involves..."shirt
> collars". Idiot.
>
> That's not the only example of clothing-based naivety I've seen
> among people who *should* know better: It's truly disturbing
> how many businesspeople can be trivially fooled into thinking
> any old random con artist is a trustworthy professional, simply
> by the con artist walking into any dept store and buying a suit
> to wear. "Oh, I see he's wearing a suit. That means he must be
> very professional!"
>
> People are morons.

The sad reality is that your physical appearance - including your
clothing - can have a big impact on how people perceive you, so
in many situations, wearing nicer clothing can have a definite
impact. This is particularly true when dealing with stuff like
sales where you're constantly having to deal with new people.
That's not to say that clothing makes the man, but impressions
like that can matter, even if it seems like they shouldn't. So,
it makes a lot of sense for some folks to wear nicer clothes - or
"professional" clothes - as part of their job. However, for
engineers, it's ridiculous. We shouldn't normally be interacting
with anyone where it would matter. So, attire like t-shirt and
jeans should be fine. Our clothing should have little impact on
our job. And in most cases, if an engineering manager is pushing
for that sort of thing, I think that it's a very bad sign.

- Jonathan M Davis