DMD v2.066.0-rc1

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 12 18:19:50 PDT 2014

> The sad reality is that your physical appearance - including your
> clothing - can have a big impact on how people perceive you, so in many
> situations, wearing nicer clothing can have a definite impact. This is
> particularly true when dealing with stuff like sales where you're
> constantly having to deal with new people. That's not to say that
> clothing makes the man, but impressions like that can matter, even if it
> seems like they shouldn't. So, it makes a lot of sense for some folks to
> wear nicer clothes - or "professional" clothes - as part of their job.
> However, for engineers, it's ridiculous. We shouldn't normally be
> interacting with anyone where it would matter. So, attire like t-shirt
> and jeans should be fine. Our clothing should have little impact on our
> job. And in most cases, if an engineering manager is pushing for that
> sort of thing, I think that it's a very bad sign.

Yea, various things about appearance definitely have a subconscious
effect on perception. That's a fairly deeply ingrained part of human
nature, unfortunate as it may be.

But what really gets me is when people have it as a fully *conscious*
belief, not just subconscious. Then my "WTF" meter just redlines.