Recompiling D code

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 14 04:54:54 PDT 2014

Hello everyone.
As you all may know I've been working on recompiling D for web services
last few weeks.
Its both good news and bad news.

Good:
Reloading definitely possible. With dependency handling using dub.

Bad:
Its slow. And not in my code sort of way.

You're welcome to atest my speeds that I have gotten so far (older well
used hdd, Win7 x64), its around 2-3 seconds for a basic go download
webpage and not much more.

I've done a bit of working with it and with 2.066-rc2 got it to the
lower end of 2s.

Atleast from my experience with this, its dmd thats actually taking the
time.

I know my code isn't the best and optimized, so I have compared mine
against dmd itself. 100-200ms difference normally.

For those who don't know why I'm making a fuss over 2 seconds, its
because you actually do notice this when doing web dev stuff. Without
including start up time, this could become a lot larger.

[0] https://github.com/rikkimax/livereload