DMD v2.066.0-rc1

Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 15 01:06:04 PDT 2014

On 15 August 2014 05:14, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce <
digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 8/7/2014 1:05 PM, Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>

>> I've never encountered anybody try and use MSC from the command line in
>> about 15 years professionally.
>>

> I've tried to. When using Marmalade. Marmalade's mandatory build system is
> very closed-off and VS-integrated, so when I needed to include other stuff
> into my workflow (forget exactly why/what), I had to invoke from a script.
> And it worked *very* poorly.
>
> The fact that so few people use VS from the cmd line could partly be
> *because* it works so poorly:
>
> Ex 1: There's a lot of apple fans who have rationalized all sorts of
> limitations as "good", or at least acceptable, long as the apple didn't
> support them. Then the moment apple would offer it, suddenly it'd be hailed
> as the greatest thing since sliced bread.
>
> Ex 2: Linux users rarely use GUI file managers. I love GUI file managers,
> but when I'm on Linux, I find even I do a lot more of my file management on
> the cmdline than I normally would. I do that *because* linux file managers
> tend to be pretty bad (esp the Nautilus-based ones IMO). So I'm not
> surprised other Linux users aren't really into GUI file managers either.
>
> We could be seeing a similar thing here. Something is shunned as "bad"
> *because* that particular world's version of it is very poorly done or
> otherwise unavailable.
>

>  That's what I mean about this culture; it's
>> the opposite of linux, and it outright rejects practises that are
>> linux-like.
>>

> While I don't doubt that's true of a lot of people in the industry, I have
> to question how much stubbornly clinging to ignorance can really count as a
> "culture". I'm tempted to claim that isn't culture at all, it's just
> pandemic pigheaded ignorance.

It is what it is... I'm just making an argument for the importance of the
seamlessness of the download -> "hello world" experience. There's a large
number of developers who find this to be a sign of quality, and they will
pre-judge accordingly.
You won't win these people over by telling them the reality of their
condition ;)