The "No Explicit Save" UI paradigm

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 21 08:06:19 PDT 2014

On 07/08/2014 15:45, David Gileadi wrote:
> On 8/7/14, 4:18 AM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>> This is an interesting behavior I've come across, even before watching
>> this talk: Recently I tried IntelliJ IDEA, and it also goes away with
>> any explicit UI notion of saving a file. It just saves files
>> automatically, as you type. This is interesting, and might well be a
>> marked improvement in UI behavior...
>
> This is a UI direction that Mac OSX is going in, presumably as part of
> their push to bring iOS behavior to the desktop. Apps that use it save
> as they go, and they have a standard UI to browse through previous
> versions of your document if you want to go back to (or crib from)
> something earlier.

Interesting.

Indeed the only potential issue I saw with this approach was, how does
the application "mark" each local history version of a document? With
explicit save it's easy, just create a new version in the local history
each time the document is saved.
Without explicit save... A smart algorithm/heuristic would have to be
put in place. Something like saving a new version after a user stops
typing after a while (5min or so?), or after a significant number of
changes occurred. (if the local history is smart enough and saves
changes incrementally, it can actually store every single change actually)

In any case that's workable, and overall it seems like an improvement in
UI design. It even reminds me of the talk "Inventing on Principle" talk
Bret Victor gave ( http://vimeo.com/36579366 ), in particular the aspect
about reducing (if not removing entirely) the save/compile/run cycle.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros