Fix #2529: explicit protection package #3651

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 23 19:39:39 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 23 August 2014 at 09:00:30 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> What is difficult to find? With flat structure you have all
> files right before your eyes. If you need std.datetime.systime
> module, you open std/datetime/systime.d file - that's the
> reason of needlessly restricting code structure with modules as
> if one size fits all.

It is the same reasoning as with deep filesystem hierarchies and,
well, any data hierarchies - once the element (module / file)
count becomes bigger than ~dozen you only really notice things
you know to look for. Contrary to that deeply nested categorized
hierarchies are easy to casually to search through if you don't
know exact module name - just iteratively pick whatever package
fits the theme until you find what you want.

I remember coding a bit in C#/.NET platform ages ago - it was
totally possible to find relevant modules without even looking in
docs, just using auto-complete through suggested package names
for import. It was really positive experience for a newbie I was.
At the same time a lot of people have no idea how many cool
things Phobos actually has.