core.stdcpp

via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 26 00:56:44 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 at 07:06:57 UTC, eles wrote:
> Apparently, all things have this tendency to get bloated. One
> of the main reasons for C's still unbelievable success is its
> slimness.

Yeah, I think C's success is directly linked to having a clear
use scenario and avoiding being a "general purpose language" and
having "minimal runtime" as the basic philosophy. With a strong
focus on OS development it was locked to it's roots.

C++ was always perceived as more of an application level
language, but was sometimes used as a C replacement because of
convenient inlining and operator overloading. So people use it
without RTTI, exceptions and ::std:: bloat…

I bet D would have been slimmer if it had been part of a OS
project, but my gut feeling is that it is more work to slim down
D than C++.  I think D would greatly benefit from a high level IR
that  various "D dialects" could compile to. Then analyse the
high level IR to determine what the runtime requirements are.