core.stdcpp

eles via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 26 03:57:09 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 at 07:56:45 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 at 07:06:57 UTC, eles wrote:

> convenient inlining and operator overloading. So people use it

For me, what it would be really nice to have in C from C++ would
be templates.
And from D, that scope().

> I bet D would have been slimmer if it had been part of a OS
> project, but my gut feeling is that it is more work to slim
> down D than C++.  I think D would greatly benefit from a high
> level IR that  various "D dialects" could compile to. Then
> analyse the high level IR to determine what the runtime
> requirements are.

The problem with starting designing (and implementing) frameworks
instead of languages is that you have to keep up with everything
and to never cease expanding. New needs will appear, new
paradigms (platforms, distributed systems and so on) and you will
have to play the game.

It is OK to provide extensive standard library, but not put too
much into the language (and, for me, the druntime shall be seen
as part of the language, not of the framework).

But, still. Even Java and C# have a separation between the
language and the framework, more than, for example, Go has.