core.stdcpp

Mike via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 26 08:30:34 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 at 14:48:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 8/26/14, 3:06 AM, Mike wrote:
>> D has a lot of potential beyond it's current use.  Please take
>> this
>> opportunity to reflect on what's been done, take a look ahead,
>> and see
>> if we can set a better precedent for the future.
>
> C++ interoperability is very important for D's future. -- Andrei

I know it is and I fully support it.  I'm not arguing against it.
  Please add all C++ interoperability support you want to the
compiler and to druntime.  I look forward to making use of it.

But libstdc++ is not part of C++-the-language, and libc is not
part of C-the-language.  C and C++ can be used without them; I do
every day.

If core.stdcpp is intended to be the language bindings to
libstdc++, I don't think it should belong it D's language
implementation, druntime, any more the language bindings to Cairo
or GTK should.

The same goes for core.stdc and core.sys.linux and friends, as
these are not part of D's language implementation.

Mike